Happy (almost) Halloween! Our apartment is decked out with pumpkins, mini gourds, ghosts and black (and tortoise shell) cats galore! Oh and I've been eating my fair share of mini candy bars. Yum.
However, that's not what makes up the entirety of Halloween. There's also this small part that involves dressing up as random pop culture icons or small woodland creatures...
It seems like most people I know can list off a bunch of Halloween costumes from their past - all these elaborate get ups that they spent months dreaming up and putting together. Me? I can think of a handful, but I think most years I just wore all black and then threw on a witch hat or cat ears. Bonus points for sometimes face paint? It wasn't that I disliked Halloween, I just don't think I cared too much about the dress up part. I mean the costume just ended up under my snow suit anyway. Here's what I can come up with for childhood Halloween costumes:
- By far, my best and most elaborate costume was when I was E.T. in kindergarten. Of course I get no credit for this choice. I think it actually came to be because a family friend had the costume and let us borrow it.
- First grade through middle school was probably some combination of my cat/witch costumes?
- I know I was a devil one year in middle school. I'm going to say either 6th or 7th grade judging by the length of my hair.
- In 8th grade I was a lamb, and Nicole picked on me for it. Looking back, she was probably right in doing so.
- Oh and I did dress up in High School a few times! Once I was Scream 3 (with friends playing the parts of the first and second movies.. there are some funny stories behind that I should share one day...) and one year I think I was Pipi Longstocking? Which is much less impressive than it sounds, especially if you saw what some of my friends dressed up as. I'll have to see if I can find those pictures...
Perhaps surprisingly, given my laziness towards Halloween costumes, I will be dressing up this year! However, I'm going to be applying my cat/witch attitude towards it, and will be putting in minimal effort. I keep saying that I'm saving all of my costume energy for when we have kids!
In any event, I'll be posting pictures early next week. Get excited!!
Do you like to dress up for Halloween? Do you tend to go the elaborate costume route, or for whatever is quick and easy?